Sep 25, 2023
How To Boost Brain Health As You Get Older?
Maintaining optimal brain health as we age is a valuable investment for our overall well-being. Our cognitive abilities, encompassing memory, learning, and thinking, contribute significantly to our quality of life. However, as the years go by, it’s common for cognitive functions to undergo changes and slow down. The good news is that there are effective strategies and health supplements to proactively enhance and sustain brain health throughout the ageing process.
Here are some essential tips that can help you nurture your cognitive vitality, ensuring your mental function remains sharp and active as you journey through the later stages of life.
1. Eat Healthy Food
Just as a symphony relies on a harmonious blend of instruments, our bodies thrive on a balanced diet consisting of a different array of nutrients. Consuming a well-balanced and nutrient-rich diet can provide the essential building blocks necessary for supporting cognitive function. Imagine the food pyramid as your guide, with each tier representing different groups of elements that contribute to the overall wellness of your brain health.
• Complex Carbohydrates and Grains – The base of the pyramid comprises carbohydrates and grains, providing the essential energy needed to fuel both body and mind. Whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat bread offer a sustained release of energy, promoting stable blood sugar levels and ensuring a steady supply of fuel to your brain cells.
• Vegetables and Fruits – Climbing the pyramid, you encounter a burst of colours – vibrant vegetables and fruits. These treasures are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that shield your brain from oxidative stress and bolster its resilience. Leafy greens, bell peppers, berries, and citrus fruits are all key players in this ensemble.
• Proteins and Dairy – Moving further up, lean proteins and dairy take centre stage. These sources of protein contain amino acids necessary for the production of neurotransmitters – chemical messengers that facilitate communication between brain cells. Incorporating lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy products supports brain health by aiding the formation and function of neurotransmitters.
• Healthy Fats – At the pinnacle of the pyramid, healthy fats create a crescendo of wellness. Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fatty fish like salmon, as well as in nuts, seeds, and olive oil, contribute to optimal brain structure and function. These fats enhance neuron communication, promote neural plasticity, and reduce inflammation, vital for maintaining cognitive acuity.
The mixture of complex carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals forms a balanced diet that supports your cognitive function. Rather than focusing solely on individual nutrients or food groups, aim to craft a diverse combination of flavours and nutrients that contribute to your overall well-being.
2. Keep Your Mind Active
Just as physical exercise keeps your body in shape, engaging your mind in stimulating activities is key to preserving cognitive vitality as you age. The brain is remarkably adaptable, and by challenging it with new experiences, you can forge new neural pathways and enhance cognitive resilience. Here are some ways you can do so.
• Learn Something New – Whether it’s a musical instrument, a new language, or a hobby like painting, engaging in novel activities challenges the brain and promotes neuroplasticity.
• Puzzles and Games – Activities like puzzles, crosswords, sudoku, and chess stimulate cognitive function by requiring problem-solving, critical thinking, and memory recall.
• Lifelong Learning – Consider taking online courses or attending workshops to continue learning and expanding your knowledge base.
3. Get Your Nutrients
Ensuring your brain receives the right nutrients is similar to laying a strong foundation for a house. The intricate biochemical processes within your brain rely on a diverse range of vitamins, minerals, and compounds to function optimally. Incorporating these essential elements into your diet through food and health supplements can significantly contribute to maintaining cognitive well-being as you age.
• Resveratrol – Found in red grapes, red wine, and berries, resveratrol boasts neuroprotective properties. It supports brain health by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress, while also promoting blood flow to the brain which is crucial for optimal function.
• Astaxanthin – Derived from microalgae, astaxanthin is a potent antioxidant that crosses the blood-brain barrier, shielding brain cells from oxidative damage. Its unique properties contribute to improved cognitive function and enhanced memory retention.
• Memophenol – This is a proprietary blend of polyphenol-rich compounds derived from blueberries and grape extracts. Polyphenols are antioxidants that have been associated with various health benefits, including cognitive function. Memophenol’s specific blend of polyphenols strengthens the memory system and improves the brain’s ability to store and process information.
• Minerals – Key minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and iron contribute to robust brain function. Magnesium, present in nuts, seeds, and leafy greens, supports neurotransmitter production. Zinc and iron play important roles in memory and attention processes, fostering cognitive vitality.
• Vitamin D – Adequate vitamin D levels are pivotal for cognitive health. Sunlight exposure and consumption of foods such as fatty fish, fortified dairy products, and eggs play a part in maintaining these levels. Vitamin D supports brain function by regulating neurotransmitters and promoting neuroplasticity, the brain’s ability to adapt and learn.
• B Vitamins – The B vitamins, especially B6, B12, and folic acid, are essential for reducing homocysteine levels associated with cognitive decline. Leafy greens, legumes, lean meats, and fortified cereals offer ample sources of these crucial nutrients.
As we age, prioritising brain health becomes increasingly important. By following a well-rounded approach that includes a nutritious diet, mental stimulation and essential nutrients, you can support your cognitive functions and enjoy a fulfilling and vibrant life.
At ZÉLL-V Singapore, our anti-ageing supplements and beauty products are designed to elevate your brain health and slow down the ageing process. Our best-seller, the ZÉLL-V MNN is the perfect addition to your supplement routine as it contains a unique blend of carefully selected anti-aging ingredients, including NMN, resveratrol astaxanthin and memophenol that enhances brain health and reverses ageing. Experience the difference in cognitive vitality and overall well-being with ZÉLL-V MNN. Contact us today to know more!